How to Increase Your Chances of Maximum Compensation After a Car Accident
According to a study carried out by the Governors Highway Safety Association, Texas ranks third when it comes to traffic fatalities. In 2018, about 16,400 accidents were reported on Houston roads. You have a right to be compensated for expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering if you were not at fault. However, the steps you take immediately after the accident will determine whether you maximize your compensation or receive too little. In this post, we discuss a few steps you should take after the accident to strengthen your case.
1. Stop and make sure you are safe
Safety should be your number one priority following an accident. If you can, pack the car by the side of the road. If it is immovable, turn on your hazard lights and flashers.
2. Report the case to the authorities
You need to notify the police when:
- The accident is fatal, or there are severe injuries
- One of the drivers was driving under the influence
- One party is not insured
- The vehicles can’t be moved
- It was a hit and run
Reporting an accident, no matter how minor it is, ensures that you are protected in case the other driver files a claim against you.
3. If you are in a position to, document the accident scene
Gather as much information as you can about the collision. This should include:-
- The time, date, and where the accident took place
- The names, addresses, phone numbers, and driver’s license info of the other driver
- The other vehicle’s vehicle registration info, plate numbers, and insurance details
- Phone number and address of any witnesses
- Photos of the accident scene including the damages to the vehicles
4. Get medical attention
While it may appear you were completely unaffected by the collision, only a qualified medical practitioner can rule out the possibility of internal injuries. The initial medical report is a handy piece of evidence as it links the incidence with the symptoms that may come up.
5. Obtain legal advice
You are likely to maximize your compensation if you are working with a competent Houston car accident lawyer. You can also contact your attorney immediately after the accident. It is not advisable to talk to an insurance adjuster before contacting your attorney.
6. Contact your insurer under the guidance of a Houston car accident lawyer
Texas laws require that all drivers have an insurance cover. Most policies include a medical cover. Talking to your insurance company with the help of your attorney could help you get some coverage to start you off on medical care if you need it.